Thursday, April 29, 2010

Announcing a New Reading Group

I've decided to try out an experiment: an online reading group. Encouraged by my friend Deacon Nicholas Belcher, Dean of Students at Hellenic College / Holy Cross, I've chosen The Moral Idea of the Main Dogmas of the Faith by Metropolitan Anthony (Khrapovitsky) of Kiev and Galicia. Each week I'll post a summary of the week's reading, then discussion will (hopefully) take place both within the comments section and in separate posts. Here's my proposed schedule (which has been updated):
May 16: The Dogma of the Holy Trinity
May 23: The Dogma of the Incarnation
May 30: The Dogma of the Holy Spirit
June 6: The Dogma of the Church
June 13: The Dogma of the Redemption
Copies of the book can be purchased for $15 from the publisher, Synaxis Press, or elsewhere online. Please use the comments section of this post to let me know if you're potentially interested in participating.

UPDATE: Please note that I have pushed the dates back one week so that people will have plenty of time to acquire copies of the book.

16 comments:

Unknown said...

I'd be happy to participate. my studies will be winding down for the summer and i'll need reading material.

Aaron Taylor said...

I'm up for it, Father. Incidentally, I first read that book at the suggestion of Bishop Ambrose of Methoni 7 years ago during a stay at Fili.

This will be a nice supplement to my reading of War & Peace and Hegel's Phenomenology of Spirit!

Unknown said...

I've ordered the book and thank you, this is a great idea.

David Robles said...

Greetings!
I'm interested!

123 said...

From the publisher's description of this book:

This volume also contains a refutation of the dishonest and heretical attack against Metropolitan Antony by the late neo-Gnostic philosopher, Fr. Seraphim Rose.

Er...

Anonymous said...

Not that I could contribute much but would like to follow along, that is, if I can find everything in electronic form. Found everything so far but The Dogma of the Incarnation and The Dogma of the Holy Spirit.

Felix Culpa said...

Don't worry, Christopher, we'll be ignoring both the articles attacking Kant in the beginning of the book and the articles attacking Fr Seraphim Rose at the back of the book. It'll all be kosher.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to share the great news that today at our SPC Synod Meeting in Belgrade, the name of Father Justin Popovic, confessor of the monastery cells near Valjevo (1894-1979) has been added to the Diptychs of the Church as an official saint, along with the new St. Simeon Popovic, Abbot of the monastery Dajbabe near Podgorica (1854-1941), now Saint Simeon Dajbabskog. They will be officially canonized on May 2 at the St. Sava Temple on Vracar.

Haven't blogged about it myself but wanted to share with you since this blog is dedicated to Fr. Justin.

Athanasia said...

I'll jump in too. And will also try to find the text electronically. Don't know that I'll have anything worthwhile to contribute to the discussion but will definitely follow along.

Thank you for thinking of this Father!

By your prayers.

Peter said...

I have ordered the book from the recommended site (I think!) and would like to participate, if only quietly.

Thank you for the forum and for the recommendation.

Anonymous said...

Athanasia, if you can read Russian here are links to some of the texts: http://www.orthodoxcanada.org/russian/texts_ru/antony_dogmat_iskupleniya.htm
http://www.rodzianko.org/russian/various/articles/Dogma_about_the_Church_print.shtml
http://catacomb.org.ua/modules.php?name=Pages&go=page&pid=688
http://www.krotov.info/libr_min/22_h/hra/povizky2.htm

Matthew said...

A great idea! I would also like to participate.

Pr Seraphim said...

Ordered the book. Too bad the big fella just cannot let it go! The appendices have no place in this book.

Aaron Taylor said...

Fortunately, my copy doesn't have the ridiculous attack on Fr Seraphim. The bit on Kant is there though.

Mark Montague said...

I've just ordered the book - looking forward to it. Aaron, thanks for cross-posting.

Unknown said...

I look forward to participate as well, just ordered the book. XB! +Fr Justin in SLC